Tuesday, November 16, 2010

More Traveling Adventures.....Ayers Rock/Uluru and Darwin

So I just recently returned from my travels throughout much of Australia.  I traveled to one of the most iconic Australian sights- Uluru, also called Ayers Rock.  Basically it is a huge rock that is in the middle of the outback.  It is owned by the Aboriginal people and they insistently ask everyone not to climb it or even take pictures of it because they believe it is a sacred place.  Because of this, the climb is often closed "due to too much wind" but the entire time we were there it was never that windy and still never open.  It was pretty sweet because at sunset the sun makes the rock change from a brown during the day to a orange to a deep deep red.  Since we were not allowed to climb the rock, we walked the 7 km around the perimeter (to give you an idea of how huge this rock is).  I went with my friend Katie and we had a fabulous time just camping and looking at the massive expanse of sky and stars.  It seriously looked like were were in a domed room with stars on the ceiling because the outback has no city or lights so its pure black.  It was insanely beautiful!  From here we traveled to Alice Springs to catch The Ghan, a train that takes you to Darwin and is a complete 24 hours long.  However, problems occurred along the way.  There is only one gas station, or should I say petrol station as the Aussies call it, for every 300 km.  We left Ayers Rock with more than half a tank and about 40 km from the nearest gas station, the car ran out of gas and we slowed to a quick stop.  Having not seen a car for two hours, we tried calling 000 (911 basically) and we had no service so when a road train (a truck carrying two whole gas tanks behind it) came along, we had to hitchhike with him and have no fear, he was quite the gentleman.  We got a jerry can filled with gas and proceeded to hitchhike bake to our car.  Hours later, we arrived in Alice Springs in time for the train.  I was quite excited about The Ghan because from what I recall in life, I don't think I've ever taken a train (not counting subways).  This could be wrong but since I don't remember it if it did happen, I was anticipating my journey across the outback to Darwin. 

     Darwin is full of national parks and so Katie and I camped for a few days traveling through Litchfield National Park and Kakadu National Park.  We met two German girls in our hostel the first night we arrived and they joined us for this adventure which not only provided great company but also lessened the cost of the car which was helpful.  The girls taught me my sixth and seventh language of counting to ten, German and Italian.  Litchfield National Park is pretty much all waterfalls and swimming holes.  The first night, we made a fire, had dinner over it and then woke up in the morning to soak in the natural hot springs which range from 104 degrees to 140 degrees.  From there we went to waterfalls that were huge and small waterfalls that connected more than ten swimming holes.  To say the least, it was BEAUTIFUL and oh so relaxing!  We then came back to the hostel for one night where we met two guys who decided to join us for our trip to Kakadu National Park.  One of the guys was from Scotland and he was absolutely delightful to have on our trip.  The other kid ended up trying to avoid paying us so that tainted our view of him.  Other than that though, the trip was fabulous company but not so good for sightseeing.  Because it is the start of the wet season (meaning summertime and lots of rain), many of the roads are completely closed off preventing us from reaching some of the main huge waterfalls in Kakadu.  We planned
on 3 nights camping there but ended up leaving after just one.  Yet I did get to see quite an amazing sunset.  I have quickly learned that sunsets are one of my absolute favorite things in life.  I can't take my eyes away from them and I just sit there saying "oh my gosh" continually because I'm just so awed by how spectacular they are.  I did get made fun of pretty frequently dude to my overexcitment of sunsets, yet I'm not ashamed.  We spent the extra few days that we had planned on spending in the national parks in Darwin instead and just walked around the city.  Darwin is extremely hot though and we had to hike about 10 km in the sweltering sun of 96 degrees.  It was a great trip and was fun to be able to see parts of Australia that many people don't ever see since it is in the middle of no where. 
     I must say though that 172 Coogee Bay Road was immensely missed.  I freaking love my house and my housemates and they have made my time in Australia what it is.  I knew this all along but as tonight is our last night in our house and many people's last night in Australia, everyone is getting sentimental.  These people have become some of my best friends and I quickly began to trust them so much.  We are already planning reunions and visits and merry times reuniting.  I can't believe my time here is coming to an end.  I leave in exactly one month and one day and can say that it will not be enough time.  Australia has become a dear dear place in my life and the thought of saying goodbye with no precise time of our future adventures is way to hard to handle.  To all the 172ers, you are some of the best people I've ever met and I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH! (to those of you who know me, I only say this when I truly mean it) and I do mean it.  I have had so many experiences with you all, so many phenomenal days just hanging as a house, and a cornucopia of memories that will stick with me for a lifetime.  We look baller in flannel and rule at ruling the beach and everywhere else we go, traveling as a pack of 25.  I cannot express the joy you all have brought to my life as this is one of the happiest periods of my life.  Again, I love you and EXPECT to see you again soon.  And as promised, anytime I see you, I'll make the best cake you'll ever have as to make up for the lack of cakes during our time in 172. 

Goodbye dear 172 Coogee Bay Road and all its occupants!  You will be remembered FOREVER!

No comments:

Post a Comment