Friday, July 9, 2010

My Long Week and New Home!

     So internet is really hard to get and so I haven't updated this in a while so I've done quite a bit since my last post.  I have been doing more things around the city including going to a plethora of museums and parks.  One of the girls that I hang out with the most in my hostel is from Canada so we obviously had to celebrate Canada Day.  I soon learned that I am exceptional at face painting maple leaves on people.  I never knew that my 2 years in Canada when I was 3 and 4 really would have helped me so much.  And we started singing the national anthem and I actually remembered quite a bit more than I imagined.  Sadly I was too tired to do anything on Independence Day and they don't sell fireworks so it wouldn't have been the same anyway.  This week has probably been my favorite week so far because I am starting to become good friends with the
people in my hostel.  I can comfortably go into the main lobby and know that I will have someone to talk to and sit with.  Most everyone is from England and have beautiful accents.  I'm also picking up some really sweet words- I'm saying "reckon" and "mates/lads" and many other really awesome phrases that you all better be ready for when I return.  There are four English guys who remind me a lot of my guy friends from home and so it has been so natural hanging out with them and having fun.  The English boys and the girl from Canada and I went to the Aquarium a few days ago and it was really good.  They have shark and sting ray tanks that have clear walking tubes underneath the tank so you can see sharks swim right over you.  They had some really awesome exhibits and I took a million pictures.  I also went and saw the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge at night and it was even better than what I imagined.  It literally always looks like a postcard picture even with the small camera I have.  Oh goodness it was beautiful.
     Today has also been very exciting because I moved into my new apartment.  It was very bitter-sweet as I have gotten used to being in the hostel and I genuinely like the people that are there and it is in such a great location.  I was within walking distance to every major landmark and museum.  But my new apartment is better than I imagined; It's pretty much like a huge huge house where 29 people live, half boys, half girls.  The kitchen is so nice which hopefully means I can bake and we have pretty decent amount of room for clothes which I needed since I brought 150 lbs worth of stuff with me...oops.  We have satellite tv on a big screen and free internet and free washer and dryer.  Oh so beautiful it is.  There are only 5 people here right now but people should be arriving shortly as orientation starts on the 12th.  I had my registration session this week where I am working on setting up my classes.   Hopefully I'll get a good schedule.  One of the girls I'm now living with has the same amount of classes as me and only has class on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday leaving the rest of the week for traveling.  This would be ideal.  Now that I have internet all day, I will be able to skype.

No comments:

Post a Comment