Wednesday, June 23, 2010

And so my time begins...kinda

     So I've been here for 2 days now but internet is $4 an hour so it's hard for me to pay that much when it hurts my soul it is so expensive.  Everything here is expensive.  Breakfast at any restaurant is normally $10-12, lunch/dinner $15-18.  When I arrived, I felt dizzy from the flight and so I stopped at 7-11, which is convieniently right next to my hostel and also has slurpees- yayyyyyy, and I got a small bag of chips and a mini bottled drink and paid $7.  I have yet to eat out because spending that much money is painful knowing I can get all those things for half the price in America.
     My hostel is really, really awesome.  It's right in downtown Sydney and is located on the main street, Pitt St., which runs for forever and can take you pretty much anywhere.  The first day I was actually awake in Sydney, being yesterday as I slept pretty much the whole first day, I went to the Sydney Opera House and the Harbor Bridge.  Because I have to use a random computer I don't have the pictures uploaded yet, but I swear I will get to that soon.  As the title of this entry states, my time here has only kind of begun because I literally sleep all day long and stay up all night long.  It is so hard with the 14 hour time difference. My hostel also has at least one, sometimes two, activities everyday for anyone in the hostel, all free of charge.  We had a BBQ down at the beach which I will be living right next to (picture down below), and although it was raining, it was really awesome to see the beach again.   Last night we went out to two bars and I must say it was quite an experience.  For those who like strange and uncomfortable stories that I can't write on a blog, feel free to ask for the details.  Let's just say that bars like these don't have events/themes like the bars in American.  At the bar we were given free crocodile burgers but I did not partake.  However, since I only have few chances to try such meats, I am considering being non-vegetarian for about 3 minutes while I try kangaroo, crocodile, and emu.  I've meet some really cool people at the hostel too so my time has been enjoyable. 
     Today I visited the University of New South Wales which is where I will be studying.  You cannot really set up housing before you arrive so today I made my way down there and was able to find two options for housing about a five minute walk to the beach (picture to the left) and my university.  It is pretty expensive being about $280/week, yes I did say week, but then again you must remember that I am in the city and so it would be like living in New York.  Speaking of America, I've already been made fun of for saying "dangggg" a lot and "that's awesome."  One girl even said "that's awesome" on the phone with one of her friends only to have a horrified look on her face afterward.  I was also asked if my life was like The Hills; wow, reallly???  Well since I've already been charged $2 just for writing this blog, I shall end my saga entry and continue later.  Hope you are all enjoying the updates and I shall be able to skype as soon as I can use my own computer.

2 comments:

  1. Was it the Australian Hotel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I'm staying at the Westend Nomad Backpackers. It's only $14 a night and its right on Pitt St.!!

    ReplyDelete